Watch this episode in video:
In the episode of the Connecting Minds we welcome Gary Gach. Gary’s lifelong career is as a freelance writer and scholar of Buddhism. That is, he’s been writing formally since he was ten and meditating since he was eight. He teaches in the Plum Village tradition of Vietnamese Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh and has been facilitating a weekly practice group, Mindfulness Fellowship, in San Francisco for over ten years.
Gary has studied with wise teachers such as Alan Watts, Suzuki Rōshi and other great Zen masters, a Hasidic master who was the 15th in his lineage, and the venerable Thich Nhat Hanh. He has written 10 books, which I highly encourage you to check out! (Links to a couple I love down below.)
It was truly an honour to have him on the show! In this episode we discuss Buddhism and how to integrate its teachings in our daily lives.
Links to Gary’s books, website, and social media:
Gary’s website: http://garygach.com/
Pause Breathe Smile – Awakening Mindfulness When Meditation Is Not Enough: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pause-Breathe-Smile-Mindfulness-Meditation-ebook/dp/B079GJGQXP
Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Buddhism: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Idiots-Guides-Buddhism-Lifestyle-Paperback-ebook/dp/B00AR183OW
Video of Thich Nhat Hanh speaking shared with me by Gary, Your Birthday is a Continuation Day : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ-y7Amn0F4
Topics discussed on this episode:
- Bringing our awareness to the present moment.
- Being present when doing our daily tasks.
- Gary’s experience with studying with wise teachers such as Alan Watts, Suzuki Rōshi and other great Zen masters, a Hasidic master who was the 15th in his lineage, and the venerable Thich Nhat Hanh.
- Teachers are like a finger pointing to the moon in a foggy night. One should not elevate the teacher above themselves.
- Gary tells the story of the Buddha, what he did to attain enlightenment, what he taught, and how Buddhism developed over the last two and half millennia.
- Gary talks about the Plum Village tradition.
- We talk about Gary’s latest book, Pause Breathe Smile.
- Using mindfulness practices to train the mind to be an ally.
- The importance of a formal practice of meditation.
- Is the ego real or an illusion?
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!