Christopher M. Bache, Ph.D. is professor emeritus in the department of Philosophy and Religious Studies at Youngstown State University where he taught for 33 years. He is also adjunct faculty at the California Institute of Integral Studies, Emeritus Fellow at the Institute of Noetic Sciences, and on the Advisory Council of Grof Legacy Training. Chris’ passion has been the study of the philosophical implications of nonordinary states of consciousness, especially psychedelic states. An award winning teacher and international speaker, Chris has written four books: Lifecycles – a study of reincarnation in light of contemporary consciousness research; Dark Night, Early Dawn – a pioneering work in psychedelic philosophy and collective consciousness; The Living Classroom, an exploration of collective fields of consciousness in teaching; and LSD and the Mind of the Universe, the story of his 20 year journey with LSD.
Chris is a father of 3, a Vajrayana practitioner, and lives in Weaverville, NC.
You can contact Chris at chris [at) chrisbache (dot–com].
Links to Chris’ books and other resources
LSD and the Mind of the Universe: Diamonds from Heaven: https://www.amazon.com/LSD-Mind-Universe-Diamonds-Heaven/dp/B0848SBF1M
Lifecycles: Reincarnation and the Web of Life: https://www.amazon.com/Lifecycles-Reincarnation-Life-Christopher-Bache/dp/1557786453
Chris presenting on reincarnation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlCMfEOmsrY
Dark Night, Early Dawn: Steps to a Deep Ecology of Mind: https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Night-Early-Dawn-Transpersonal/dp/0791446069/
The Living Classroom: Teaching and Collective Consciousness: https://www.amazon.com/Living-Classroom-Collective-Consciousness-Transpersonal-ebook/dp/B003DM3QU8/
Chris’ academic publications: https://youngstown.academia.edu/ChristopherMBache
Topics discussed on this episode:
- Chris discusses his 20 year journey of exploration of his consciousness during 1979 – 1999.
- His discovery of Stan Grof’s work and how that catalysed his high-dose LSD work.
- The protocol he used, based on Stan Grof’s research.
- Chris’ first book, Lifecycles, which is about reincarnation.
- Ian Stevenson’s work with thousands of children who have spontaneous recall of past lives showed to him that reincarnation is a simple fact of life. (Check out the video above for a 35 minute overview.)
- The importance of the work on reincarnation is that it invalidates the currently dominant paradigm that the brain gives rise to consciousness and memories are solely stored in the physical brain.
- Chris gives us an overview of what happens to us when we take low and high doses of LSD.
- We confront The Shadow – fears, worries, early traumatic experiences all the way back to infancy and the womb.
- The death-rebirth process.
- Ego death.
- The high-dose protocol initially developed for terminally ill cancer patients.
- CoEx systems and the Perinatal level of consciousness, and how accessing them through LSD can have therapeutic potential.
- What happens after one dissolves the CoEx systems and Perinatal matrices.
- The practices that allowed Chris to integrate the his experiences into daily life.
- The middle and later stages of Chris’ journey and how the content of his sessions changed and developed.
- The Diamond Luminosity.
- Deep time and the birth of the Future Human.
- Chris’ attitude towards his own death, and the lack of fear associated with it.
- The reasons Chris decided to stop with his LSD work.
- The challenge of integrating the entire journey after stopping the sessions.
- Chris’ plans for the future in terms of teaching and producing more work.