On this episode of Connecting Minds I had the pleasure of chatting with Anders Beatty.
Anders works with the leading ibogaine and plant medicine providers around the world to help their clients prepare for and get the best out of their journeys. He shared a ton of great insights into addiction, trauma, plant medicine, and the journey to recovery.
This is another important episode if you are a parent!
Anders is a psychotherapist and works with a number of ibogaine and plant medicine clinics worldwide specialising in pre treatment “set” and integration for people undergoing a rite of passage for addiction, PTSD, trauma and ‘burn out’.
Anders runs ibogaine counselling services and was once in “addiction” himself.
Links to Anders’ resources:
Topics discussed on this episode:
We covered a lot of ground in this interview, some of the most salient points include:
- Anders’ background, his experience with ibogaine and other plant medicines, and his work with the leading ibogaine and plant medicine providers around the world.
- The importance of “putting intentionality, integrity, respect and reverence into the process,” as Anders puts it.
- How various childhood traumas, big or small, can lead us to addictions.
- “Addiction is about self-medicating from being inauthentic.”
- What the lead-up for the client to the plant medicine journey looks like in terms of preparation.
- “Addiction is about being in control.”
- The magic is not in the plant medicine, it is in the work that the client does themselves.
- The “metaphorical cooking pot” or cauldron where each person put their own “ingredients” used to facilitate their own personal transformation.
- Guilt and shame are completely unproductive when it comes to addressing one’s addictions.
- The importance of therapists and counsellors having worked with the the medicines.